The Alamo Community Congregational Church was organized in 1849 by Reverend Isaac Crane, and the first meetings were held in the Center Schoolhouse or in homes. For unknown reasons, the church was inactive from 1856 to 1863. In 1867, they met with a group of local Methodists and entered into the joint effort of building one building for both assemblies. However, they were unable to settle their differences concerning what to call the church, so the Congregationalists decided to withdraw from the joint endeavor and build their own building. The present building was constructed in 1868, and the first service was held on December 3, 1868. At that time horse sheds were built behind the church, containing 40 stalls and were removed about 1925. For a short time, all church records were kept in the clerk's home. Alvord Peck was the church clerk and when his home burned in 1889, many of the church records burned as well. The church was modernized about 1902 as a beneficiary of Aaron Tallman's will, when a furnace was installed to replace the 2 wood heating stoves. The kerosene chandeliers remained until the advent of electricity in the middle 1920's. The interior was also wallpapered. Partitions at the back of the old sanctuary (east end) were built in 1932 and were the only Sunday School rooms supplied with privacy until 1950 when the basement was finished under the supervision of Reverend John Maters. It was during the 1950 excavation that a near tragedy occurred. The north side of the excavation site caved in and that side of the church dropped considerably. The men worked most of the night and the danger of a collapsing church was over, leaving torn wallpaper as the only damage. Reverend Richard Bowser inspired members to redecorate in June, 1956, with pink walls, ivory pews, and brown-tweed carpeting. In 1965, three rooms were partitioned off the basement for the use of Sunday School classrooms. In 1979, Reverend Wesley Crocker came from England and helped the church to grow in spiritual love and membership. In the fall of 1982, the original sanctuary was enlarged by removing the partitions in the back. The sanctuary was also redecorated at that time with new wallpaper and carpeting.
We Would Love to Have You Visit Soon!
Sunday School: 9:30am-10:30am Service: Starts at 10:30am Office Hours: Wednesdays from 10:00am-3:00pm