Alamo Community Congregational Church is celebrating it's 150th year of worship this year!
1868 - 2018
The Alamo Community Congregational Church was organized in 1849 by Reverend Isaac Crane, and the first meetings were held in the Center Schoolhouse or in homes. For unknown reasons, the church was inactive from 1856 to 1863. Records from 1865 indicate that the group attempted to switch to a Presbyterian denomination but were unsuccessful. In 1867, they met with a group of local Methodists and entered into the joint effort of building one building for both assemblies. However, they were unable to settle their differences concerning what to call the church as well as how to choose a minister, so the Congregationalists decided to withdraw from the joint endeavor and build their own building. The present building was constructed in 1868. Aaron Tallman contracted the building job, engaging Erastus Davis as head carpenter. Davis had the help of 30 men. The Ladies Mite Society served meals for the men on tables outside. The first service was held on December 3, 1868. At that time horse sheds were built behind the church, containing 40 stalls and were removed about 1926. In the decade following the erection of the church, membership rose to around 90. They owned a parsonage as early as 1873, but the building was sold in 1943 to the Clyde Fullers after many years of being rented out and of housing ministers. For a short time, all church records were kept in the clerk's home. Alvord Peck was the church clerk and when his home burned in 1889, many of the church records burned as well. At the turn of the century, the minister’s salary was $600—$700 annually, minus the cost of renting the parsonage. The church often had difficulty raising the salary, having to host many fundraisers and even having to borrow. The church was modernized about 1902, as a beneficiary of Aaron Tallman's will, when a furnace was installed to replace the 2 wood heating stoves. The kerosene chandeliers remained until the advent of electricity in the middle 1920's. The interior was also wallpapered. Partitions at the back of the old sanctuary (east end) were built in 1932 and were the only Sunday School rooms supplied with privacy until 1950 when the basement was finished under the supervision of Reverend John Maters. Under the inspiration of Maters, the basement was fully excavated, finished, kitchen-equipped, and dedicated on Easter, 1950. It was during the 1950 excavation that a near tragedy occurred. The north side of the excavation site caved in and that side of the church dropped considerably. The men worked most of the night and the danger of a collapsing church was over, leaving torn wallpaper as the only damage. Reverend Richard Bowser inspired members to redecorate in June, 1956, with pink walls, ivory pews, and brown-tweed carpeting. On November 3, 1957, a Wurlitzer Electric Organ was dedicated, a gift from Roy and Harry Garrison and Emma Kisinger in memory of their mother and father. In March, 1958, tile was laid on the basement floor. In 1965, three rooms were partitioned off the basement for the use of Sunday School classrooms. In 1979, Reverend Wesley Crocker came from England and helped the church to grow. In the fall of 1982, the original sanctuary was enlarged by removing the partitions in the back. The sanctuary was also redecorated at that time with new wallpaper and carpeting.
Celebrate with Us!
Shirts have been ordered. Turnaround is approximately 2 weeks. Orders will be passed out as soon as they are available. Contact Wendy Bidwell with any questions.
We Would Love to Have You Visit Soon!
Sunday School: 9:30am-10:30am Service: Starts at 10:30am Office Hours: Wednesdays from 10:00am-3:00pm